StoryCorps is a non-profit organization that has created an app to record an interview and upload it to the Library of Congress.
Listen to interviews already collected for the St. Clairsville Covid-19 History Project.
To set up the StoryCorps app:
- Download the StoryCorps app on your smartphone.
- On the create your account screen in the app, scroll to the bottom and specify the community code: STCATHOME
- Fill out the rest of the info to create your account and click “Create Account”.
To record your interview:
- Press Record an Interview, then press the button to “Prepare an Interview”
- For Title, specify a main idea for your interview in a brief sentence, such as: Talking with my son, Jani, about the many changes during the Covid-19 outbreak in Ohio
- Press “What questions will you ask?” and you should see at the top “St. Clairsville Community (Ohio)”
- Go down the list of questions in order and press + to add each question to your interview and press Save.
- Press “Who will you interview” Enter a first name and press Save.
- Press “Share this interview” (it won’t be shared until you decide to publish it). You should see St. Clairsville Community (Ohio). Press + and Save.
Press “Record the interview” to begin. Read the first question and turn the phone’s mic toward the person as they answer. Have a casual conversation using the questions as a guide. Ask follow up questions and invite the person to tell stories. Have a fun chat together!
When you are done, Press “Publish interview” to upload it to our library’s community page. Check “Public” and add keywords such as covid19, STC and OH.
Note: You may also interview a friend or relative who lives at a distance. Call the interviewee on a second phone and use the first phone to run the StoryCorps app and record the interview.