What is happening and when with the library closure?
The St. Clairsville Public Library is currently closed to the public. We plan to reopen as soon as the Governor’s stay-at-home order is lifted. For the time being, we will continue providing services to the public such as virtual storytimes, reference assistance via our website chat, and full access to our digital library.
During this time no fines will be assessed, and materials will not need to be renewed as all due dates for our patrons will be extended. Please hold your library items until we re-open.
Do you have a question for us about library services? Web chat will be available Monday – Friday 9am-6pm and Saturday 9am-4pm, we will be happy to assist you. Please leave a message when we’re offline. Check out our website in the bottom right corner to access the chat window.
Can I place holds (requests) from the catalog?
Items from other libraries are not being shipped, so we are only able to offer you from the many items now stocked on our library’s shelves.
There’s a problem with my library card. I might have forgotten my PIN. Who should I contact?
Restoring access to your library card account is important to us. Please contact us using the chat tool in the lower right corner of our website or call 740-695-2062. Provide your name and library card number. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
I would like to get a library card, is that possible during the closure?
Yes. If you have an email address, you can immediately get a special “self-registered” library card. The card gives you full access to our digital library – ebooks, audiobooks, streaming movies, and more! Here’s how to apply:
- Go to https://ohio.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/stc/search/registration/znbc/SYMWS/true
- Fill out the form. For “PIN” we always recommend using the last 4 digits of your phone number. For “Library” select ST CLAIRSVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY
- Click Register and you will be given your library card information! Be sure to write it down, as this is your access information to our digital library.
Are there any other ways I could get new books from the library during the closure? *** Temporarily Suspended ***
Along with our regular digital resources, we will be offering a variety of FREE books for our community to take during the closure. If you’re looking for reading material please stop by the back-alley M-F to see what’s available, weather permitting.
While the library was closed, I accrued fines or fees on my account. What should I do?
Despite our best efforts, some fines or fees may have accrued for items due. All overdue fines will be waived, no need to worry. If you have questions please feel free to call and we will be happy to review your account.
I checked out a WiFi hotspot. Will it remain active while the library is closed?
Yes, all due dates and service has been extended while the library is closed.
Will the library still be accepting book donations?
At this time, we will not be accepting book donations. Please hold on to books you would like to donate, and we will let everyone know when we can begin accepting them again.
What digital resources can I access from home?
Download or stream eBooks and more, 24/7. All you need is your library card number and PIN.
- Hoopla Digital – 500,000+ movies, music albums, audiobooks, comics, ebooks, and TV shows (15 checkouts per month).
- Libby or Overdrive – 150,000+ popular ebooks, audiobooks, and more. Kindle compatible (10 items at a time).
- TumbleBooks – Animated, talking picture books that kids can read along in a format they’ll love.
- And many more listed on our Research page.
Research, study, or learn something new using these power tools, 24/7.
- Develop in-demand skills with Lynda.com
- Fix your car with Chilton Library
- Buy smart with Consumer Reports
- Explore your creative side with Hobbies & Crafts Reference Center
- Tackle your next DIY project with Home Improvement Reference Center
- Learn a language with Transparent Language Online
- …and more
What other services are available while the library is closed?
- Imagination Library – Putting books in the hands of children (0-5) across Ohio to give every child the chance to succeed inside and outside the classroom.
- Free WiFi outside the library in the front and back. Speeds up to 10MB.
- Xfinity is offering free access to WiFi around the community.
Are library books safe to use?
On 3/19 an Ohio Department of Health epidemiologist informed the State Library that our highest risk is close proximity to a contagious individual as well as exposure to shared surfaces such as tables, doorknobs, touchscreens and faucets/sinks. The risk of contracting the virus from books is likely low. However, it might be worth considering wiping off a book before handling it.
***Temporarily Suspended ***Will the library be providing a curbside service?
Yes, Monday – Friday between the hours 10AM-2PM. You may call the library to place your requests and arrange to pick up books and movies curbside at the library. Limit of 5 items.
*** Temporarily Suspended *** I need tax forms. Can I still get those from the library?
Call the library and we will be happy to provide forms to you while curbside service is available (see above for more about curbside service).
I want to keep in touch. How do I do that?
Library staff will be posting regular updates & tips in the following places: